Summer heat and humidity can significantly change the properties of gelatin-based glues due to their composition, being totally biodegradable can be greatly affected by severe climatic conditions, which can make their handling difficult and cause some problems of production. At Royal Cartton we try to tailor the formulations in a personalized way taking into account the climatic season of our clients, however, there are several general tips that can be useful in the face of heat and summer.
Basically, the heat and humidity can considerably increase the open time of the glues, causing them to take longer than usual to dry, if this is the case, these would be our recommendations
- APPLY LESS GLUE: if a thinner layer of adhesive is applied (link to product application tests - glue optimization test), it will take less time to dry, thus ensuring that it conforms to the expected time
- CARE OF THE SUBSTRATES: it is very important to keep the substrates to be used in a place as cool and dry as possible. Keeping them away from exposure to high temperatures and humidity will also avoid many problems
- KEEP THE WORK AREA TEMPERATURE: try to keep the work area as isolated as possible from heat and external humidity and put fans near the machines to help cool them is highly recommended
- REDUCE THE SPEED OF THE MACHINE: in this way we give the glue more time to dry and can avoid major problems of unsatisfactory finished product and waste elimination
- REDUCE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE TAIL: by trying to work at a slightly lower temperature than usual, we can also get the open time of the glue to be shortened, thus returning to the expected value.
In any case, it is best to contact the Royal Cartton S.L. to choose the most suitable solution in extreme heat scenarios.